"Oh the places you'll go..."
And go, go, go we surely did! Whether it was by a bus, or in the rain on a train (I sense a Dr. Suess theme here), in a cab, or riding the subway, we certainly experienced all ways to travel about the city. Oh, and I forgot to mention on foot too...which-PS- gave me severely blistered feet! I finally I had to break down and go buy this foot tape type stuff and tape up my tootsies every single day. How lame did I look walking around with white tape hanging out of my shoes?! I am semi anti-socks, but I for sure wish I had some on this trip!Anyhow, MY MOST FAVORITE thing to do while in NYC was to ride the double decker tour bus! Shocker? Well it was, and I loved having a chauffeur of sorts drive me all around the town. We saw so many wonderful parts of NYC because we decided to do this. Let me try and sell you on this bus thing:
-for starters, riding the bus is a great way to see all the hot spots (and more) that the city is known for, all while seeing it from a bird's eye view
-the bus has designated stops every few blocks so you can get on/get off at your leisure (ie: we wanted to eat lunch down in Soho one day, so that we did, and a few hours later we hoped back on a bus and continued on with our travels
-the bus rides come with complementary ponchos. Big whoop, right? Well once it starts pouring rain, that my friend serves as a life saver.
-in addition, each exciting bus ride comes with your very own "tour guide" of sorts that shares numerous nuggets of NYC info over a muffled microphone...like pointing out famous landmarks, where celebs live, where certain movies and TV shows were filmed, dining hot spots, and other inside info you just wouldn't hear about typically
(DISCLAIMER: Tour guides may relay false information. We certainly caught one in the act. We actually wondered on more that one occasion just how much of their shtick was truly accurate. Well after one crazy lady tour guide told us that The Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art used to be home to the Rockefellars, I thought that one sounded like a doozey. Once we visited the museum and learned how OVERWHELMINGLY HUGE it was (we're talking 60,000 sq. feet people), I had a hard time believing it used to be someone's house, especially one of that size back in that day. So I marched on up to the information booth to get the facts, and indeed that tall tale was de-bunked. Not true. The museum was originally built as a museum.)
-lastly, you get a lot of bang for your buck and it was the best $100 we spent - you could just ride the bus for hours on end and see new sights every time
Thanks to the Mr. Gray-Line Double Decker bus, we rolled out everywhere and got great glimpses of Times Square, Empire State Building, World Trade Center Site, 5th Avenue, Garment District, Soho, Greenwich Village, Harlem (a little scary), Central Park, Little Italy, Chinatown, Brooklyn, Manhattan Bridge, and so much more!
It was the best memory I have of our trip and I highly recommend this tourist activity for any NYC newbies!
Weird, I know.

Of course we had to get this photo - 34 is HIS number after all!

Us doing my favorite thing...riding the bus!







3 comments:
AWesome...I love the pictures. I actually have never gotten one of those tour bus rides. I might have to try that next time. I hear ya about the feet thing. I hate wearing socks and my feet heart every day after walking.
*hurt...man I can't spell.
So I can't wait until NYC: Part 3!
Suzy Lou!! I am so excited that I can talk to you all the time now. I am so jealous of your NYC trip. I want to go so bad but Brandon says it is his worst nightmare. I will keep trying though! I will keep you posted on the house and maybe ask you for a few of your opinions along the way. Love ya!
Post a Comment