Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tiptoeing...

Yesterday=the last day of entering in age 29 on the Elliptical machine at the gym. Today=the first day of entering the "30 Club" and trying *really* hard to be okay with it. I mean, I do realize that age is just a number, even just a word. Thirty. Thirty, thirty, thirty! There, I said it, but I still don't really like the sound of it.

Over the past few days, no make that weeks, I've taken moments to give myself a retrospective look back at what I've learned in my life, particularly in my 20's, all leading up to this whopper milestone of a birthday. A few things I've learned or realized that I don't mind sharing on a public journal are:

-no matter how good or bad a situation is - it will always change
-what it feels like to be irrationally in love
-who my real friends are (and how to recognize toxic ones)
-envy is a waste of time
-how to say no and not feel guilted into doing things I flat out don't want to do
-running a small business or two is a lot of work
-knowing empathy, gratitude, and sacrifice
-things are just things and I could throw a torch to them at any time and still be okay (with the exception being the contents in my closet - JUST KIDDING!)
-feeling gratified by combining my passions with my work
-how to cook, entertain, design, etc. with some sort of unique flair
-recognizing that in the end we are all just trying to get to the same place and really there are other roads that will take us there safe and sound
-and all I truly do need in this life is my amazing family by my side, and I'll be as good as gold...but that I've known that one my entire life

I can only hope that my 30's will be as down right fantastic as my 20's. But for now, I vow to gracefully bow out of that age bracket and tiptoe into the next with complete gratitude for where I am at this moment in my life, what I've learned in traveling along the way, who I love, and who loves me back. I am a work in progress, and for today, that is okay. Happy 30th Birthday to me!

10 comments:

Tyler of tslclick.com said...

Love you Suz!!!!
Hope your day is special and I'm happy to have you as a true friend. You've always been one to save judgement and see people for who they are. You are a rare girl indeed. I can think of no one that I'd rather have with my favorite appendix bursting, microphone rockin homeboy!
hugs
G dawg

Sara said...

Happy Birthday! Hopefully your party is as good as the one you helped me throw for Ben's 30th!

melissa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

30's will be marvelous :)

Lori John said...

Happy Happy Birthday Suz! (if this posts several times I am sorry struggling to get it to send)

The Thelins said...

Happy happy happy birthday!! You're amazing and one of the coolest people I've ever met. And you don't look a day over 25... seriously!! Love you booty.

A family of four said...

Happy Birthday Suz! 30s are great - no need to tip toe into them! It only gets better. :)
Love,
B

McEwen Family said...

Happy Birthday! I really enjoyed reading about your 20's and your 30's will be just as good if not better! You are so cute, I love all the concern about turning 30, I know I will feel that way once my time comes. Have a wonderful Birthday!

heather said...

happy birthday! If you wouldn't have posted about this I wouldn't have even known that you were 30. You look awesome! Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Suzzanne. Come by and see me for a birthday chair massage if you don't mind the kids. I would like to see you sometime.I love my 30's and hope you do too. Your insights are beautiful. I , honestly, don't remember being that introspective. You're just awesome.

Carolyn said...

I hope you had a great birthday Suzy-Q!