Sunday, April 20, 2008

Green Is The New Black

In case you haven't heard, being nice to the earth is cool. And in honor of Earth Day on Tuesday, 4.22.08, it's a day that we can all join together and celebrate the home to all mankind. Now what do I mean by celebrate our lovely Mother Earth? Well for one, we can recognize and be truly grateful for the beautiful planet in which we have been given, and secondly, Earth Day can be our day that gives us a jump start for better eco-friendly living while we each do our best to take care of the planet. Now I'm not hugging trees by any means, but the Johnson household has made some small switch-eroos over the past few years to try and do our part to make our lives a little more planet conscious, and hey I must admit, it feels pretty good! And, making our lives a little more green doesn't require spending much green or a having a love for hemp either - so why the heck not?! Some of my favorite ways we can green-over our homes and lives are: switch out our incandescent light bulbs to the cool twisty energy smart compact fluorescent bulbs, unplug stuff when it's not in use, recycle, buy energy star appliances, switch to natural cleaners (with these there are no icky chemicals that get washed down the drain that can end up in our water system), switch to rechargeable batteries because the regular ones (that are oozing with toxins) end up in landfills, buy the smaller laundry detergent bottles where the detergent is 2x's more concentrated, stop the plastic insanity whether it's with utensils or bottled water, pay bills electronically, bring your own re-usable tote to the grocery store, and buy organic just to name a few! Okay, no more tips and tidbits from me, but if you want to see a simple A-Z list of more ways to help the planet, go here. We can't change the world alone, but at the very least, we can all try our best to do our part. Green is good!

4 comments:

The Thelins said...

Booty, you don't actually believe in global warming do you? Love you!!

Unknown said...

As an old hippie...I'm sure the Earth is thanking you for doing your part. I'm proud of you! And I have totally spaced reading any of my comments on my blog and I would certainly be honored to have you add me as one of your friends. Thanks! I'll do the same. Love ya to pieces.
Ruth

heather said...

I actually love reading your blog. You are too funny and now you have one more person that will read your blog:)

Christa said...

You know Suz..... GREEN is Oprah's favorite color.