Monday, January 26, 2009

Rx for Jalapeno Hands

It's official, I will never cut another jalapeno pepper again unless I wear protective gloves. Actually, I might just veto jalapenos all together and never buy one again.

I pretty much endured the most excruciating irritation ever as the remnants of the pesky pepper set my skin into an absolute state of inferno. This burning feeling was all over my hands and it even seeped under my finger nails. Trying to sit though a church meeting while feeling like I was on fire was quite the challenge. But this was just the beginning of the blaze.

Why on earth it didn't occur to me to NOT take out my contact lenses with my jalapeno hands is beyond me. UM, OH MY STARS!!! That one put me into tears! I should have doused my eyes into gasoline next.

But instead, my tear laden eyes struggled through a Google search to see what on earth I should do with myself. Ready for the Rx?

I had to soak my hands in milk then take a super long steamy shower for the eyes. The shower thankfully did the trick for my ocular catastrophe, but for some reason the hot water seemed to "activate"' the burning on my hands all over again. It was like a reverse milk osmosis. Dang it!

Not that you've read my sob story, my eyes are fine, but almost a day later, my hands have moved from a burning state to a simmering state.

No more peppers for me, and now you know what to do should you have a pepper problem yourself.

8 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so sorry - I've been there so many times. It's definitely worth the $10 disposable gloves at Smart & Final. Your description is much more eloquent than mine would have been! :) I love reading your posts.

No, I haven't forgotten about your skewers. I'll send them tomorrow!

Unknown said...

OH! I have done this too. I have made salsa, chopped jalapeno then rubbed my eye. Not fun! I hope your hands heal :)

heather said...

oh no! Is this from dinner Sunday night? Hope your hands start feeling better.

McEwen Family said...

YIKES! Hope you hands are cooled off by now! Who would have thought?I woudln't have for sure so thanks for the insight.
You should look into LASIK, best thing I ever did and no longer have to deal with pesky contacts!

Lisa said...

OUCH!! i know how you feel. Shortly after Brandon and i got married i was trying to impress him with my oh so wonderful culinary skills and was cutting a jalapeno for something and them wiped my eyes. i thought i was going to die!!! The pain was excruciating. i have shyed away from peppers since then but when i do venture to use them i use extreme caution. Glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

OWWWW!!! I just grab a zip-lock and put it on my hand while I am cutting and make sure the other does not touch the pepper. Sorry, dear girl!

The Thelins said...

Booty girl! I'm sorry about your misfortune. Maybe it's worth it just to buy the pre-diced canned jalepenos, even though they're not fresh. And I can't believe you got it in your eyeball. What a catastrphe! I'm glad it's all under control!!

McEwen Family said...

Suz, no worries on the tag! For some reason I thought the letter A would be easy but come to think of it, well it's not! Tags aren't exactly my fav so sorry to make your brain think think think on this one! Still workin on the names...aghhh this one will be tough for us!