Tuesday, July 22, 2008

FASHION + FOOD IN THE SAME PLACE

Yes, I'm talking Nordstrom's here. It's no secret that it could possibly be my most favorite spot in the city. A refuge. A home away from home. Okay, that's a stretch but at the very least it's a place where I can indulge in both fancy shoes and fancy salads.

My favorite these days? The berry and chicken salad. It's D-VINE! Due to my vacation schedule, I haven't been able to partake for almost a month here! I'm deprived. So, what's a girl to do? Well she creates her own version of the salad, which I made again tonight for the second time in a week. As for the shoes, I'm afraid I'm fresh out of luck there for now.

So are you curious to try this salad out? Well either go to Nordstrom Cafe and see for yourself, or try Suzanne's slightly adapted version of the following (items in bold aren't in the real version):

SALAD INGREDIENTS: mixed greens + sliced chicken + strawberries + raspberries + blueberries + candied walnuts + a sliced pear + homemade dressing compliments of Reej (theirs is a champagne type vinaigrette)
DRESSING INGREDIENTS: 3/4 T. poppy seeds + 1/3 cup white vinegar + 3/4 cup vegetable oil + 1/3 cup sugar + 4 T. finely minced onion + 3/4 tsp. salt + 2 T. mustard
*Combine all but poppy seeds in blender until smooth then stir in poppy seeds by hand. Toss with salad just before serving.

I just realized why I love this salad so much, it's because it's so sweet! It's like a dessert dressed as a salad. Seriously though, it's that delicious and blog post worthy.

So next time your thinking you have to have that pair of pumps from downstairs, just take a breather and head upstairs to see if this salad can satisfy that urge. I mean, what other department store can you do that in?

1 comment:

McEwen Family said...

I so love that salad! I order it all the time! I need to get to the anniversary sale, I can't believe I haven't yet! I'm going to try your recipe, I like the modifications, it sounds delicious!